Membership with Mernda CFA
By making a contribution to your community you will make new friends, learn new skills and be part of Victoria's largest volunteer team. CFA Volunteers Make a Difference
Volunteers come from all walks of life. They have diverse backgrounds, interests and skills. One thing common to them all is their desire to put something back into their community.
You don't need experience to join CFA as we will provide you with all the necessary training. The training is aligned with National Competency Standards so your new skills will be recognised throughout Australia.
The job isn't all fighting fires, and there are many support roles that help brigades, and will also help you to build professional skills.
The safety of our people is very important to CFA. This means that new volunteer firefighters need to undertake the right training before attending fires, and this can take up to six months. Training is run after hours and on weekends, so that everyone can attend.
What do Volunteers do?
There are many ways that Volunteers can make a valuable contribution to the community. CFA welcomes different people with different skills to meet a wide variety of community needs.
Refers to emergency operations roles that respond to a range of incidents, including firefighting, road accidents, industrial rescues, flood relief and chemical spills.
- Incident Controller
- Pump Operator
- Crew Leader
- Communication roles
- Special skilled roles including chainsaw operation and breathing apparatus
Non Firefighting Roles
- Fire Safe Kids presenters & other community education programs
- Brigade administration roles
- Administration support roles in Incident Control Centres
- Leaders for Juniors program
- Media and public relations
- Fundraising activities
- Community events
What's in it for you?
Being a CFA volunteer can involve some hard work, but the rewards are great.
Being a CFA Volunteer creates opportunities to:
- develop leadership and people management capabilities
- learn new skills that help you in your professional and personal life
- receive accredited training
- meet new friends
- be part of Victoria's largest volunteer team
- achieve personal goals
- put something back into your community
- involve the whole family
- receive discounts on goods and services through CFA's Emergency Memberlink program.
Exciting Training Opportunities
Comprehensive training is available to all new members. The training you will undertake will vary depending on the brigade you join and the role you are interested in.
Your training might include:
- basic firefighting
- pump operation
- fire safety awareness
- fire equipment maintenance
- endorsed truck licence
- first aid
- leadership training
- breathing apparatus.
For Further Facts on Volunteering please click here
If you wish to register your interest please fill out the contact form below.
A member of the Brigade Management Team will be in touch with you shortly.